The South African

Court hears of death threats and cover up


The case against the three police officers implicated in the murder of 16-year-old Nathaniel Julies is set to continue at the Protea Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday, 24 September 2020, where the accused are applying for bail.

Their appearance comes a day after the court heard bombshell claims made by the suspects – who are pointing the finger at each other, in explaining the circumstances and subsequent death of Julies, an Eldorado Park teenager.

Julies was shot dead in August, while he was out in his neighbourhood. Sergeant Simon Ndyalvane, Caylene Whiteboy and Detective Sergeant Foster Netshiongolo are the accused in the case.

It was established that Whiteboy, a 23-year-old female rookie, was the one who fired the shot that killed the boy. However, she alleges that she was acting on the instructions of her co-accused, Ndyalvane – who is also her senior. She claims she had no idea the gun was loaded with live ammunition, when she fired, as she had used it only hours earlier to disperse a crowd in nearby Freedom Park.

“I had used the firearm earlier in the day in Freedom Park to successfully disperse a crowd. The gun was loaded with rubber bullets. I was so shocked when I used it later, unbeknown to me that it was loaded with live ammunition,” she said in her affidavit.

Whiteboy: ‘I received death threats from co-accused’

In another twist, Whiteboy claims Ndyalvane had also tried to dictate to her what to say to investigators who were looking into the case, adding that he threatened to kill her if she didn’t.

“I have received written WhatsApp death threats from my co-accused applicant one (Ndyalavane) as a result of my cooperation with the state to ensure that the whole truth is told. Ndyalavane offered to pay for my legal fees if I agreed to tailor my version of events, which I refused.”

Meanwhile Ndyalavane has denied Whiteboy’s claims and said all he did was rush the boy to the Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital, where he was certified dead.

They both face charges of murder, defeating the ends of justice, discharging a firearm in a public space, and possession of prohibited ammunition. While Netshiongolo has been charged with being an accessory to murder, defeating the ends of justice and unlawful possession of ammunition.

Netshiongolo also maintains his innocence and said he was off duty on that fateful day. He was reportedly called to the hospital and later went to the scene to remove the cartridges.


Read the original article on The South African

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *